- This event has passed.
Men’s Group – U.S. Justice System Reform
Wednesday, February 13, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
Members & guests-free. To register, please scroll down or call the Village office at 773.248.8700.
The U.S. justice system is neither just nor effective. The first hour will highlight the main problem areas in each step from initial arrest of a suspect through the re-integration of released prisoners into society. The second hour will focus more deeply on a few of the more important issues and hear from some leading Chicagoans at the forefront of justice reform. Join us to learn what we ourselves can do to make our streets safer through a more effective system of justice and incarceration. Guest speakers for this program include:
1. John McLees, who will give the overview of the criminal justice system and its problems. A retired Baker McKenzie lawyer, he continues to spend time studying the system and publishes the only significant monthly catalog of news and resources on the system. Note that the overview will cover the entire justice cycle from arraignment/bail through re-entry into society and recidivism.
2. Sharone Mitchell from the Illinois Justice Project will address justice for juveniles. He is currently Deputy Director of the IJP and formerly a public defender for criminal cases.
3. We will also have a counselor and two ex-prisoners from St. Leonard’s Ministries, a charity focused on helping ex-inmates to become productive citizens after release. They will talk about the challenges and barriers to successful re-entry after release.
John and St. Leonard’s will present from 11:00 AM – 12:15 PM. Discussion and personal Q&A will take place during a self-hosted lunch from 12:15 – 1:00 PM. John and Sharone Mitchell will present from 1:00 – 2:00 PM. If you are unable to join for the entire program, members are welcome to attend for part of the time.
The Men’s Group meets every second Wednesday of the month, featuring different topics and guest speakers. It is open to Men who are Village members and their male guests.
- Reservations required for all events.
- The Village aims to match participating members by request to Village events when other members who are attending the event are able to provide transportation. When registering, please let the Village office know if you are able to drive or would like a ride to an event.